Weddings are the perfect occasion to let your personality shine through. Your guests will see reflections of you and your partner in your colour choices, song selections, and even through the items on your menu. What many couples don't always consider, are the nontraditional, unique ways to show their guests who they really are.
Talk to your wedding planner about adding these elements into your day, to make it memorable for years to come:
1) Dress Change – as weddings become more modernized and less traditional, we see brides wanting to wear more than one outfit. This is a great way to show off your soft side with a romantic style dress for the ceremony, and maybe something a little more flirty for the party. If you don’t want to change the dress, maybe consider a veil or shoe change!
2) Cocktail Hour To-Do’s – cocktail hour is often the time for couples to have their wedding photos taken. However, even though you are not present for your guests, it is important that they are entertained. Besides food and drink, think about hiring a band, or traditional dance group to perform. You may also want to ask your venue if they have any walking paths or luscious gardens that you can direct your guests towards. Lastly, you can give your guests word games, or “mad-libs” to fill out in your absence. You can have your Emcee read them during dinner for everyone to hear!
3) Champagne Toast – want to make a special moment stand out? Add Champagne! Consider having champagne served to your guests as you sign your marriage license or during your grand entrance, so you can toast in style.
You can also take the more customary elements such as the bouquet toss, first dance, and guestbook, and spice them up to make them your own. Here are some tips to break the tradition:
1) Bouquet Toss – instead of the traditional throwing of the bouquet, consider this option: During your wedding speech, ask your guests to tell you how long they have been married. When you find the couple who has been married the longest, give them your toss bouquet! It will be a nice keepsake for them to take home and remind you how true love lasts.
2) First Dance – This is very special moment for couples, but depending on your personality it can either be a lot of fun, or something you dread. If you’re outgoing, try doing a choreographed first dance to a fast paced song – something that will be sure to put a smile on your guests’ faces! If you’re a little on the shy side, don’t have anyone announce your first dance. Make a point to meet your partner on the dance floor when no one is paying attention, and savour that moment without the watchful eyes of your guests.
3) Interactive Guest Book – let’s face it, are you ever going to sit down and read through a list of signed names? Make your guestbook fun for everyone by making it interactive. Have guests leave a fingerprint in washable paint, or take a funny picture of themselves to paste in a scrapbook. Your guestbook can be the highlight of the party!
There are many other ways to make your wedding unique and memorable. Talk to your partner about the elements that are most important to you as a couple, and decide what you can do together to add a little flair to your wedding day.