After working with couples over the past year, I feel that I have learned a thing or two about choosing the right venue when it comes time to start planning a wedding.
Typically, the venue is the first big budget decision that is made. It is best to keep in mind the budget, style, and size of your wedding when looking at venue options. Think about your guests: How far is their commute? Will the guests require a hotel near by? Is there ample parking at the venue?
Once you have established a short list of venues, take time to view them all and meet with a venue representative. Ask as many questions as you like, and always get a quotation, this way you can compare each venue fairly.
If you think you might require extra support in the planning process, it might be helpful to choose a venue that includes a Venue Planner. A Planner can be such a huge help, as they know the building inside and out and can help to prepare a personal and logistically sound plan for the day. Typically a planner will be present on the day of your wedding; they should be there to execute all of the details and promises that were made leading up to the day.
Other items to consider when choosing a venue could be:
· What can the venue offer in terms of rentals: tables, chairs, service wear etc?
· Does the venue allow you to bring in your own Caterer?
· Does the venue supply set up and take down staff?
· Does the venue allow you to have outside vendors, such as, musicians, florists,
decorators, DJ’s ect?
· Is the venue licensed to serve alcohol?
· Does the venue have insurance?
· Is there a back up plan if the weather does not cooperate?
· Can you have the venue all day to yourself or will you have to coordinate your times based
on other weddings that are happening in the same building on the same day?
· Does the venue provide a bridal suite for you and your party to get ready in?
Another important consideration is décor. If the venue is well maintained with its own style and identity, perhaps candles and flowers and linens are all you need. This can be a huge savings in the end.
Whatever you choose, please choose carefully as the venue will hold many memories for you: It willbe the backdrop of all of your wedding photos for years to come.