Ian McLean is currently the President/CEO of the Greater Kitchener Waterloo Chambers of Commerce (GKWCC). The Chamber is progressive and has been at the forefront of community building for the past 130 years. Its main objective is to advocate for business and provide programs and services so they can grow and succeed. The Chamber philosophy is that a strong community is essential for business success.
The Greater Kitchener Waterloo Chambers is one of the largest chambers in the country. Here are some of the #BigDeals that GKWCC has a hand in.
1. The Physician Recruitment Program. What once started as a volunteer service by the Chamber is now a full-time, staff and volunteer supported initiative. Since 1998, the GKWCC has recruited 190 family physicians to Kitchener Waterloo and have cut the number of people without a family physician in half!
2. The Waterloo Region Innovation Corridor. The Chamber co-chairs (along with the Toronto Region Board of Trade) the corridor. The GKWCC has spearheaded an initiative to promote the talent and opportunity of the Region and across the Corridor to raise awareness of locating and expanding to the second largest technology cluster in North America.
3. Immigration Partnership of Waterloo Region. The Chamber has been at the forefront of a a multi-stakeholder community collaboration called the Waterloo Region Immigrant Employment Network (WRIEN), that is now the foundation for the work pillar under the Immigration Partnership of Waterloo Region. The purpose of this initiative is to match immigrant talent with business and ensure immigrants are welcomed, feel a sense of belonging and find meaningful work in Waterloo Region.
4. Prosperity Council. The Greater Kitchener Waterloo Chambers of Commerce works alongside the Waterloo Regional Economic Development Corporation, the Cambridge Chamber of Commerce, and Communitech to create awareness of what the business community needs to support opportunities for prosperity in the Waterloo Region.
5. Support the Chamber community partners in their endeavors that are essential to a healthy and successful community. They work with the University of Waterloo, Wilfrid Laurier University, Conestoga College, United Way, KW Community Foundation, Junior Achievement, Perimeter Institute, and CIGI.
Congratulations to Great Kitchener Waterloo Chambers of Commerce for all of its accomplishments and success. We can't wait to see what happens next!
Big Deals Happen Here in Kitchener-Waterloo! Hacienda Sarria thanks all of our business and industry leaders for all they do to help make our region such an innovative and successful community!