When it comes to planning a wedding, there are not many decisions as delicious as choosing your wedding cake. This is a great activity for you to do as a couple - who doesn’t enjoy sampling sweet treats!
I always recommend that clients look at photographs in magazines and online for inspiration. Keep in mind that the cake design should match the aesthetic of the day. Inspiration can come from the venue, fashion, jewelry that is being worn, florals etc.
The typical white wedding cake with a plastic bride & groom at the top is a thing of the past. The key difference between today's couples and the couples of the past is "personalization". Couples really want their weddings to stand out, to be different and more importantly, to be remembered. I met with Ida from The Cake Museum to gather suggestions on how to choose the perfect cake for your big day.
Here are 5 tips to help make selecting your cake a sweet experience:
1. Get to Know Your Cake Designer– It is important to find a reputable designer/baker. Ask friends or other couples and research online social media to find feedback and testimonials. Also, when meeting your cake designer it is important that you "click". It will allow both parties to create something that is amazing and memorable.
2. When to Order- The cake should be ordered three to six months in advance.
3. Taste, Taste, Taste!– Ida can't emphasize enough that taste is just as important as the look of the cake. If you're working with a reputable cake designer then a cake tasting/sampling should be standard. Also be sure to always advise your baker of any allergies during your consultations.
4. Designing Your Art Piece- Designing your cake should be fun and collaborative. Don't be afraid to do something different! It will wow your guests and for sure will be a memorable part of your wedding. Ida personally loves to be inspired by fashion designers, architecture, funky floral art pieces and so much more. If you can’t decide on a cake design and are still looking for something different, then perhaps you may like the idea of a dessert table or mini cakes. Just remember, when it comes to cake design...anything is possible!
5. Delivery & Setup– Don’t forget to discuss delivery and setting up your cake on the day of. This is usually the last thing on your mind – let a professional handle your precious cargo with care.
The cake should be beautifully displayed; it truly is a piece of art. Your Hacienda event planner will provide you with ideas for location, as well as include the cake in the floor plan. Lastly, an important detail - don’t forget a decorative cake-cutting knife!