8 Tips for Finding the Perfect Wedding Gown & Bridesmaid Dresses to Please Even the Pickiest Maid
Shopping for your wedding gown is an exciting and often long-anticipated experience for brides, however finding that dream dress can sometimes be a challenge, and trying on dress after dress can be exhausting and stressful. If you are shopping for your dress with an entire entourage in tow, it may be difficult to make a decision if your great Aunt Helen and future mother –in-law are arguing over lace versus tulle.
To reduce wedding dress stress, below are 8 tips to help you find your perfect wedding gown:
1) Make an appointment: Call ahead and book a time to meet with a bridal consultant and try on gowns, don’t just walk into the salon.
2) Do your homework: Come prepared to your appointment and ready to share your vision with your consultant. Whether it’s pages torn out of wedding magazines or a full Pinterest board, a clear idea of what you are looking for will help the consultant find a dress.
3) Budget: Think about how much you (realistically!) want to spend on your dress, factoring in alterations and fittings, which can add up.
4) Order Early: Start dress shopping early! Some designers take 6-12 months to complete and ship a dress.
5) Be Open-minded: Experiment with different styles and silhouettes. You may have always dreamed of a satin mermaid dress, but fall in love with a lace A-Line gown.
6) Location and time of year: Consider your ceremony and reception venue and the time of year you are getting married when choosing your dress.
7) Undergarments: Wearing appropriate nude undergarments to your appointment will make slipping in and out of dresses much easier.
8) Trust your instinct: Finally, when you try on the right one, you will know – go with it!
Always a Bridesmaid…
Bridesmaids are a special part of your wedding and can be a huge support, helping to plan and organize your big day, not to mention hosting showers and bachelorettes. A picky bridesmaid however, can create drama and add unnecessary stress, and finding one dress to suit each bridesmaid’s body type, age and personality can be tricky.
Luckily, gone are the days of matchy-matchy bridesmaid dresses! Martha Stewart Weddings lists the New Rules for Bridesmaid Dresses, and these ideas below may make dress shopping easier and keep your entire bridal party happy and looking stunning on your wedding day:
1) Mix it up: Different shades of the same colour palette or florals and solids are great options so each bridesmaid has an individual look.
2) High/low: Long and short dresses in the same colour creates a unique and uniform look. Experiment with different necklines, not everyone can pull off a strapless dress.
3) Bridesmaid “outfits”: Consider a skirt and top from a favourite designer for a creative twist, with separate pieces that can be worn again. Check out department stores in addition to bridal boutiques.