Step one, the beginning of the journey.
You’re excited to make your first big decision about the wedding (as if getting engaged wasn’t big enough!) but it's difficult to get started when there are so many things to consider!
Let's make it simple and start with the most obvious question: when?
Saving the date requires some thought, but luckily we at Hacienda Sarria have helped many couples pick their perfect date from the calendar.
Looking for some first-hand advice from our Event Planner Ashley on how she chose her wedding date? See our Save the Date edition of The Wedding Planner blog.
Pick the Day You'll Remember the Rest of Your Life.
7 Keys to Selecting The Perfect Wedding Date
These are the basics and the first things you should take into account when selecting- or not selecting- a certain wedding date:
- Special Significance
Perhaps you would like to have your wedding day on the anniversary of your grandparent’s, or a beloved family member’s birthday?
- Travel for Guests
Are your guests from out of town and will there be convenient accommodations and travelling arrangements available?
- Favourite Season
Is there a time of year you’ve always wanted to have your wedding?
- Venue Availability
Are you thinking of picking a date during wedding season? Is the venue available on that particular day?
- Guest Availability
Do your guests have plans that conflict with your proposed date? Are there certain guests that you must compromise for?
Do you want to avoid holidays, such as long weekends, when people might be busy or gone away?
Where are you wanting to take your honeymoon and for how long? Consider time off work, peak vacation seasons, and the weather!
Which Season is The Best for My Wedding?
There is no black and white answer to this very personal question! The season you select should reflect the personal connection you share with your partner and although the most popular wedding season is from May to November, there are definitely advantages to getting married during any season.
- Your photography will look lovely with everything becoming more green and lush
- It is the perfect time of year for new beginnings (people tend to be happier after the long winter too!)
- There are plenty of flowers in bloom, which are less expensive when seasonal
- Spring harvest season means many seasonal menu options are available to you
- The weather has much better chance of of being bright, sunny, warm, and wonderful
- You can wear strapless dresses and forget the shrugs
- People generally take more holidays and have more time off in the summer
- Outdoor weddings are a greater possibility
- Accessories are very conducive to this season
- Fall colours are gorgeous and very complimentary of many complexions
- The weather is cooling to a comfortable temperature
- Décor and thank you token ideas are plentiful
- The lighting in the winter is the best for photography
- Venue’s generally have more availability in the winter season
- You can plan a holiday themed wedding!
- Vendors will sometimes provide reductions during non-peak seasons
Save the Date Cards
An important part of picking the date is letting everyone know when it is! We recommend sending out cards 6-8 months in advance, and even earlier if you are unsure about guest availability. Save the date cards are a chance for whimsy and humor, while your official wedding invitation should embrace the elegance of your theme and have a beautiful design that guests will want to frame. Over the years, we have seen many creative ideas for telling everyone to save the date- here are just a few to inspire you!
Looking for more inspiration? Our growing collection of "Save the Date" cards on Pinterest will do the trick!
1. Homemade Designs
What could make an invite more personal than being handmade by the bride and groom? Making the card yourself also allows you to take your theme to the extreme- why not scent your invite for a rose garden wedding in the spring?
2. The Photo Strip
One of the most popular save the date trends recently has been the photo strip message. In a sequence of four photos, the newly engaged couple share their news by holding up signs. For instance, the first photo could read “guess what?”, the second would then read “we’re engaged!”, the third would continue with “and you’re invited to celebrate with us…”, and the final picture would provide the date.
3. Personalized Pictures
Having fun, professional photography to feature on your save the date cards allows you to show off your own style and provides a keepsake for your family and friends. At Hacienda, engagement photo shoots are included in our wedding packages at no extra cost.
4. The Video Announcement
In this age of social media, many brides and grooms share their news through social networks. Humorous videos or even animations can be fun to create and show to the family.
5. An Edible Invite
Some couples decide to say it sweetly. How about sending some bite-sized eclairs, a delicate Parisian treat with an elegant card, or calligraphy right on the sweets themselves?
Once you have a date in mind, it’s time to check with the venue to book!